Romancing With Rahman!

I have already written a detailed profile of the Globetrotter earlier in the blog under the title "Get Rahmaned".This article is more personal.On the relationship I share with Rahman.On why Rahman is as important to me as my Mom or my 3 year old niece or the amazing friends I got in my school and college life or Priya(A separate article on her is on the way).On why comparing Rahman with Harris hurts me as much as a proposal turned down with a slap on the cheek on February 14.
I was born in 1991.The time when Rahman was still doing ad jingles.I was mouthing indecipherable syllables.The only language I knew was crying.Then "Roja" arrived.Satellite TV had it's impact on me too.My mother still remembers that day in Jan 1993 when I sang "Kadhal Rojave" in my own way."Aadhal ojave enge nee enge aaneer aliyudhadi aane"-I killed the song but my life started that moment.
I went to my aunt's house sometime in 1997.Her son Sakthi Narayanan was a big Rahman fan(He has a Rahman picture in his wallet) and he had original cassettes of all Rahman albums till then.That day he played songs from a Rahman movie which completely captivated me.The arrangements,amazing instrumentaion,indulgent vocals,the new sounds-I knew all the technicalities later(If a 6 year old guy talks about instrumentation,he must be the next Rahman).On that day,I was just stunned to the point saying "What a music director!Wow!".That album was not "Rangeela" or"Roja" or "Minsara Kanavu" or "Kaadhalan".It was a nondescript work of Rahman-"Uzhavan"!
The romance continued with one of my school pals Satish who was another big Rahmaniac.
We used to buy all original cassettes (Later CDs) of Rahman on the first day of release.The long wait for a Rahman album is a special feeling for us.We used to enquire daily-"Bro!Has Anbe Aaruyire arrived?".I still remember the flummoxed look on the shopkeeper's eye-"What makes these two guys to come daily and enquire for a S.J.Suryah album?!"."Shivaji" was the last album  we bought together.College life separated us.But everytime a Rahman album is out,he will be the first to call-"Masakali rocks da!"I have got many fantastic friends in college life and had some fantastic trips in Coimbatore but none can match the fervour and expectations of those cycle trips with Satish("Has Rahman sung a song in this album?",I will ask.Even a "I think so" from him will make me fly!).
Rahman has been with me in all the tougher moments of my life.I still remember being scoffed by my school girl in Tenth standard."Do not talk anything more.You may get beaten up by me"-This sounds a bit civilised.I still remember the anger in her face.She would surely have slapped me.Nothing hurts you like a beautiful girl's anger.I came back home red in shame.I would have cried for sure.Then I started hearing "Swades" songs in my system.I forgot all her words and got myself immersed in the magical Shehnai version of "Yeh Jo Desh Hai".I am yet to think of that girl again in my life!
In 10th standard,It was "Swades".In 11th standard it was "Rang De Basanti".In 12th standard,It was "Guru".In the first year of my college it was " Jodha Akbar".Now in the second year,It is "Delhi 6"!
When I am in any troublesome predicament,I do not share it with anyone.I will give only a hint about it to my mother.(I hate burdening her with my worries.If I say her that a classmate of mine fought with me and does not talk with me,she will not sleep for one week).I just play a soulful song of Rahman("Vellai Pookal" or "Roobaroo" or "Dil se re") and keep listening to it for some times till I forget the problems!
I love Rahman not because he is a great musician and he has won 4 national awards,20 odd filmfare awards,Golden Globe etc.I love him because he makes my Mom smile even when she has a stomach ache.He keeps my brother and me united despite our differences.He made my Grandfather watch a film after a long time because of his amazing BGM(Kannathil Muthamital).He makes me forget that I fail in Internals.He makes my life Heaven with his soulful music.He made me  forget that girl.Period. 
 






Comments

  1. u and me have nothing in common except that we were born to the same mom and we are Rahmaniacs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts