The Lost Goosebumps!


The bygone days were different.I remember the times when going to class was as delectable as a furtive look by a girl you so desperately want to romance.The year was 1999 and I was in my fourth class.There was an erudite teacher who used to come from a nearby school to our institution to take Value education classes.I never missed any class of his.After 20 minutes of listening to engaging stories from Bible without blinking an eye,I used to get even more alert.Because it was time for The Quiz.He will take out a sheet and start asking contemporary GK questions.I got goosebumps everytime I knew the answer to his poser.I used to raise my hands with such fervour that he had to remind me perpetually that this was no competition.To dumb questions like "who is the vice-president of India?",I used to shout out my answers and come back home to tell mother about my "Umesh!What you said is (Long pause) CORRECT" glory.
The scene shifted from a Catholic school to a "Om Sri Sai Ram" school in the early 2000s and I did not change(Not that the religious leanings of my school had anything to do with my interest in classes).I was the earliest bird to the school daily.I would reach by 8 o'clock for a 9:15 start and start talking with Shanmuga Prasanna.(He will remain the best listener in my life.Listening is a tough art.)The teachers were so genial.Mrs.Durga Bhavani and Mrs.Vatsala were two profound influences.Their classes were absolute delights.Even during my last month's "Nyabagam varudhe" school visit,I insisted on attending a class taken by Mrs.Durga Bhavani.Mrs.Vatsala's classes were of a different kind.Ranging from believe-it-or-not Saibaba stories to valuable life lessons,she always kept us engrossed.I still hang my head in shame remembering what she told in a class:"If you do not remember the names of teachers who took class in your kindergardens,you do not deserve to be a student".
After class gets over,we never used to leave the campus.We attended meaningless biology and maths tuitions just to stay back in the campus.Bunking the classes was something Greek to us.I remember consoling myself,"this is not a high temperature.I can still make it to the class."All that has changed drastically as I am in the final year of of my undergraduate life.Attending classes has become an annoying chore.I reach by 8:32 for an 8:30 start and leave the class as soon as the siren signals "Hello sir!stop it please!".I do not remember listening to any of the classes in the past three years.
My activity in the class reads thus:
1.Read something general("The Post-American world and the Rise of the East" is a safer option than listening to Digital Communication Systems)
2.Think about my classmates' placements.
3.Think about the proposed changes in Intrams.
4.Think about new ideas for Students Union.
5.Think about learning Hindi if am joining a Delhi IAS coaching centre next year.
6Think about a new scene for my college-based screenplay.(Screenplays based on a PSG Tech student's life can be so emotionally charged if the scriptwriter has the eyes and ears in his heart)
7.Think of new ideas to post in blog.(Like this one)
8.Think about absolute NONSENSE.(Nonsense is Nonsense.Elucidating it will make the reader "unfollow" my blog immediately)

As all these goes on inside my muddled head,Sir takes attendance and am all ears.Everyone wakes up and shouts out his number.Suddenly,attendance has become the only reason I attend my classes.Suddenly,I do not get goosebumps if I know any answers to sir's questions.(It is another thing that I do not know any answers).Suddenly,classroom does not feel so cool.Suddenly,growing up feels like a sin.

Comments

  1. gethu:) cool:) fantastic:)awesome:)school life s heaven indeed:)..ovvoru time un new article padikum pothum ithu atha vida(previous) better ah irukae thonuthu:):).gr8 :).ha ha i am the first to comment on this article:):):).bunkin the classes in school s greek:)ipo?:).even i don remember the names of teachers who took class for me in my kgs:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey good post! An inspiring and truly knowledgeable teacher who can capture and retain your attention is so rare these days! This sem I have just One such person and I'm happy for as much!:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Shilpa

    No I feel that you have misunderstood or I have put it not so clearly.
    The problem is not with knowledgeable teachers but with an irresponsible me.I dare not say that teachers aren't inspiring or knowledgeable.I don't deserve to say.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, an inspiring professor can induce interest in any mind! And you are not unintelligent. It's just that you have taken a course that doesn't interest you.. That is probably why you think you are irresponsible.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i m next to u to think the same.......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not only u umesh every college student attend classes for the sake of attendance only......nobody is interested to attend those boring classes

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a very nice one and gives in-depth information. Are you looking for quality online home tuition in Coimbatore? Look no further than Ziyyara! Our expert tutors provide personalized one-on-one online tuition in a variety of subjects, including Math, Science, English, and more.
    Enroll Today Online Home Tuition in Coimbatore

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for providing such an informative blog. Choose our online tuition for history, at Ziyyara. With Ziyyara's convenient online platform, you can easily schedule personalized one-on-one sessions, ask questions, and receive detailed explanations. Say goodbye to dull textbooks and hello to dynamic online tuition with Ziyyara.
    Visit Ziyyara.com or contact us at +91 9654271931

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts