Oh Those Ten! - 9

This moment is the most recent of all ten and hence stays very fresh in memory.Dakshna Moorthy is that kind of a guy who so aptly fits those lines from Thalaivar's (Read Rahman) song in Mr.Romeo " அன்னையின் கருவினில் புரண்டதும் நடனம் தொடங்கி விட்டேன்".He is an interesting guy who can do mimicry,bowl brilliantly (but bat horribly) and be a fantastic friend.But it is his dancing potential that endeared me (and many of us) to him.


My MJ in DX show!


I still remember his half-crying emotions when MJ passed away.In fact,he modelled his steps on MJ many a times.He used to lock himself up in his room and try out all crazy steps possible in front of the mirror.He videotaped all of them to correct and chisel himself.The right moment to stage his talent came in the second year in the form of Intrams (For outsiders,PSG Tech's annual culturals.That time of the year when even cricket and Rajini are delegated to lesser priority).Dakshna thought that his moment of reckoning had arrived but fate,as always,had other plans.

MJs don't have a great academic record.Dakshna's sins in the second semester laughed at him cruelly when his "Electron Devices" supplementary exam was scheduled on the same day as,what else, Intrams.While the entire college was sitting in the Q-angle enjoying the dances of Marzetaurz and Zefrozigerz (Bizarre but beautiful names),Dakshna was sitting in the exam hall trying so hard to find the difference between BJT and FET.To add fuel to the forest fire,his exam hall was right behind the stage.Hence,his hands were writing gibberish and legs were shaking to the tunes.

Obviously he could not have cleared the paper in such trying circumstances.Hence,he was writing the "Electron Devices" paper during the next Intrams too.The songs had changed from "Athiradi Karan" to "Taxi Taxi" but it was the same "BJT-FET" for him.Thus the two perfect years when the transition from the dancer-in-private to MJ-on-stage could have happened were not lucky enough.Dakshna put a pause button on his dances,started clearing his backlogs and started enjoying the academics.At the end of the final year,even the Placement Cell was not kind to him leaving him in utter despair.Dakshna needed redemption and it came from the most unexpected quarters.

Dramatix (One Club which everyone looks upto in college,thanks to amazing hardwork and creativity of the Men in Blue) was planning to have it's show this March.I was doing the work of a mediator for some talented bunch of guys who were facing disciplinary action and was pleading to make them dance in the DX show.Unfortunately,Mahilvendhan(Secretary,DX.A person with an infectious smile.Even when he was dancing the most acrobatic of steps,he smiled brilliantly) had no such ideas and said a plain sorry to me.Dejected,I went inside Principal's room for another work.When I came back,I was surprised to see Mahilvendhan standing outside.He came to me and told "Dai we can't make them dance.If you have any other guy from your department,send him.".I danced in joy.Who else could I think of other than my MJ?

Dakshna went for DX practice the first night where he was made to redo a single step thousand times till he was exhausted.He could not sleep for two continuous nights.He got a fever within two days and suddenly told "I can't go for the DX practice da".I was taken aback.Me and Ajay had to sit down and convince him , "Dai!that's the DX way!Perfection has it's cost!Please try".We even had to do an "Aadukalam" Dhanush saying "Two years henceforth you won't be here.I won't be here.But your dance will live and will be talked about".An inspired Dakshna went for practice from then.The DX Day arrived.

A crowd of around 2000 were in the Q-angle who were shouting,cheering and enjoying the ambience.In such an electrifying atmosphere,my MJ performed for more than 5 minutes.I need not use superlatives to describe his performance.To say that he was his usual self would do.All of us clapped till our hands got red and cheered till our throats got bad.A mammoth crowd had forgotten their worries and clapped till they got exhausted.After the performance,Dakshna came running to me in his dancing constume and hugged me.Tightly.

All those failed recruitment interviews were forgotten.All those supplementary exams were forgotten.All those moments in lab when our department staff used to ridicule Dakshna were forgotten.All those private times when only his mirror had to see his dance were forgotten. This was Dakshna's Moment of Redemption.and My Moment of Bliss.

Comments

  1. proud of yu daks!:)) Yu must be the happiest person to have such frnds!

    ReplyDelete
  2. UMESH AND AJAY:"Ella pugazhum iruvarukae"....
    Seriously you are the guys who were dancing n joy than me after the DX show!!Umesh i still remember that day were you wer very busy with KRIYA,amidst that you came to my room and was encouraging me to dance for more than 1hr.You also said that you will sit with me day and night during practice,you are the one who made me to appear in the stage on DX!!MY PROUDEST AND HAPPIEST DAY IN MY LIFE!!My dream came true because of you guys really glad to have you as my friends in my life!!NANBENDAAA!!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts